The new apartment has been found, the furniture removals company in Sydney has moved all of your belongings to the new apartment – and now the matching wall design is still missing. Some paint on the walls can give the apartment a completely different look. In addition, colours have a very special influence on our well-being. That’s why you should paint your room with the right wall paint to make you feel at home quickly in the new apartment. In this post we will reveal the secrets of the colours and their effect on your space and on you. Once you have found the right colours for your new apartment, the step-by-step instructions in this article can help you paint the walls.
Create Walls with Colour and Achieve the Best Room Effect
Wall paints are ideal for bringing structures into a room and playing with visual effects. This renovation work should be well planned. Not every wall colour fits in every room. The use of wall paint has a major impact on the room architecture. For example, the space looks smaller when two walls are painted in dark colours. Wall colour ideas with dark tones are therefore only suitable for large rooms or for colour accents. Dark ceilings appear deeper and visually reduce the space. In old-style apartments with very high ceilings, however, this can look very nice. Conversely, a room with a light wall colour is visually widened and opened. Bright ceilings, which may even reflect, give the effect of a high ceiling and make the room appear larger. The following pictures show
When Designing a Wall, Pay Attention to The Effect of Light
Wall Paint Ideas should always interact with the lighting of a room. Because the light sources in the room play an important role in the choice of wall colour. If plenty of daylight comes into the room, you may also paint the room with darker wall colours. In rooms with north or east orientation, on the other hand, light and warm colours are more appropriate. Also, the artificial light should be adapted to the colour selection for the walls. Because every lamp has a different effect on the wall colour.
Different wall colour ideas for different rooms
Next, the use of space for the wall colour ideas should be considered, because colours bring different moods. Warm colours such as orange or Bordeaux give a sense of cosiness. Blue or turquoise are calm and fresh and ideal for work or bedroom. Yellow is bright and brings good mood, and green has a calming effect that increases concentration and creativity.
Do you have a favourite colour? Then just use it and paint your room with this wall paint. However, choose a tone that matches your room and does not make the walls look tighter. It is very nice to realize the wall design with different, harmonizing colours. This allows you to visually structure the space and influence the depth of the room. For example, if you combine a strong dark green with a mild grey-green on a wall, the light surface will reflect more light and be more strongly perceived by the eye. The darker areas recede.
Note the use of space when designing the wall
When choosing the colour, you should note in which room the walls are painted. Besides the own taste and the effect of the colour the utility of the room or the wall should be considered. If the wall should be washable, then latex paint is good. For wet rooms should be used more environmental colour or special colour, as it has a mold-inhibiting effect. Do you want a wall with structures? Then there is also special structure colour for it. It’s best to get detailed advice from retailers. When buying wall paint you should not save in the wrong place. Often, more expensive quality paint is cheaper in the end because it covers better. Pay attention to the standard EN 13300, which indicates the quality of the paint. Class 1 represents the highest opacity and Class 4 the lowest.
Walls paint step by step
The room painting is fun and brings a whole new atmosphere to the room. So that no paint goes wrong and the wall paint is well covered and evenly distributed, we have put together a step by step guide to painting walls for you.
Before going to the shop check again the exact areas to be painted:
- If you have a wallpaper on the wall that does not adhere to the wall paint, you should remove it. It helps using wallpaper remover.
- If plastered surfaces are painted, the walls should be pre-treated with a primer before painting.
- If you see water and rust stains on the walls, buy additional insulating paint for priming. Also mold should be treated before painting the walls.
Required tool for wall design with paint
- Paint rollers in different widths
- Telescopic pole and / or ladder
- Brush for the contours
- Masking tape for masking
- Foil or cover fleece
Room in 6 steps
- Even if you want to start right away – a thorough preliminary work must be. Cover all furniture and the floor with foil and cover fleece. Adhesive baseboards, windows and doors with masking tape. For walls without wallpaper test if the old colour is still tight. Stick a piece of tape on it and pull it off abruptly. If there is paint on the tape, the old paint should first be removed. Before you apply the wall paint, you should paint the wall with deep colour.
- When painting, start with the corners and edges and use a brush or a small roller. In order for the edges to be clean and straight after painting, there is a simple trick. Paint the masking tape on the edge with the background colour and let it dry. Especially with woodchip this step is recommended because the small holes are closed with the background colour.
- If you also want to paint the ceiling, then it should be started with a telescopic extension as this is better suited than a ladder, because you save the constant ascents and descents. In addition, larger areas can be painted in one go, resulting in a better result.
- Place the scraper in the paint bucket and dip the paint roller piece by piece, never completely, into the paint. Immediately scrape off excess paint on the screen before adding more paint.
- For even distribution, paint the paint across the wall first. Then paint in straight regular tracks from top to bottom with overlap. Make sure to always swipe “wet in wet”. That is, when overlapping, the surface should still be wet.
- Now the paint can dry. Before the paint is completely dry, you should remove the masking tape. Small bumps can now be repaired with a small brush. Wash your brushes and rollers thoroughly. Also clean the lid rim and pour some water on the paint. This avoids skin formation on the colour and you can reuse it for years to come.